World Spine Care is the only global organization focusing on providing evidence based, sustainable spine care in under served communities. Our vision is a world in which everyone has access to the highest quality spine care possible.
Why is this so important?
- Because back and neck pain are the number one cause of global years lived with disability and are the fourth leading cause of disability-adjusted life years (DALYs), affecting approximately one billion adults worldwide.
- Because spine pain impacts the world’s most vulnerable people. The prevalence of low back pain is greater among females, in those with less education, in those involved with heavy physical work, in the presence of psychosocial factors (stress, anxiety, catastrophizing depression), and in alcohol consumers.
- Because spinal pain contributes more to the global burden of disease than HIV, diabetes, malaria, stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, breast and lung cancer combined, traffic injuries, and lower respiratory infections.
Since our inception:
- We have supported over 40,000 patient visits at our six clinics in four countries: Botswana, Dominican Republic, Ghana, and India;
- We’ve provided education conferences for over 700 health care professionals at World Spine Care conferences in Botswana and India;
- Research based on World Spine Care clinics has been published in a number of highly respected journals with the most notable being the research of the Global Spine Care Initiative (GSCI) which was published by the European Spine Journal in a special supplement in September 2018. . These papers have been downloaded, distributed and shared over 15,000 times since their publication in September 2018.
We can’t do this important work without you. If you are passionate about our mission to improve lives in underserved communities through sustainable, integrated, evidence based, spine care, please consider supporting our mission by donating to World Spine Care today.